It is a process of improving the structure and content of your site and doing promotional activities to increase the traffic, and thus ranking on search engine result pages.
SEO is further divided into two parts: On-Page SEO and Off-Page SEO
It refers to all the measures or methods used by website owners within their websites to increase the traffic and ranking of a website on search engine result pages. Within the website means you deal with such elements of SEO that are in your control, such as meta tags, technical tags, content quality, etc. So, there should not be any delay in resolving on page SEO issues to maintain and improve the ranking.
Some of the important On-Page SEO factors are as follows:
1) Meta Tags: Meta Tags are HTML tags that contain meta data and provide information about the content of a webpage. They tell what the page is about when it was updated, and who has created it. This information is very important in terms of SEO as it helps search engine crawlers understand and index the page.
These tags are placed inside the head section of a HTML page, e.g., <head> meta tag</head>. The users who visit your site can't see these tags, but the search engine can see them for indexing and deciding the ranking of your site.
There are mainly three types of meta tags:
2) Page Length: The search engine prefers long pages to rank higher than short pages. It knows that users do not get satisfied with basic information. Instead, they expect a full explanation
3) Outbound Links: You can give links of other sites on your page that provide similar information. It may act as a trust factor for Google.
4) Internal Links: Interlinks your popular pages to new pages so that traffic from one page may be diverted to other pages.
5) Canonical Tag: This tag is used to prevent the duplicate issues that arise when you have two URLs with similar content. It tells Google that two or more pages with similar content are equivalent to one another and belong to the original page.
6) Image Optimization: Image is required to be optimized using alt text, description, etc. Additionally, instead of naming your image as "image1.jpg' use descriptive filenames, for example, 'boy-playing-in-the-park.jpg.'
7) Sitemap: A sitemap is created for a site. It helps search engines in indexing pages of your site.
8) Content: The content of your pages should be unique, relevant, and the latest and should be related to highly searched topics, keywords, etc.
9) URL Optimization: Keep your URL less than 255 characters, and use hyphens '-' to separate different parts of the URL. Additionally, it should be short, descriptive, and contain your main keywords. For example, www.javatpoint.com/smo-tutorial -for-beginners. Also, optimize the structure of URL by making categories that help search engines and users to find the content with ease. For example, Homepage>Social Media>Facebook>Post
10) Mobile Friendliness: Around 60% searches in Google are made through mobile phones and other such devices. So, make sure your website is mobile-friendly.
Although Off-page optimization has the same objective of increasing traffic, it is different from On-page optimization. In On-Page SEO, we deal with the factors that are in our control, i.e., within the website, but in Off-page SEO, the measures are taken outside the site, which is not in the control of a website owner such as blog submission, article submission, forum posting, etc.
Some of the important Off-Page SEO factors are as follows:
Off-Page SEO techniques mainly deal with increasing the links to a site which is called Link popularity. These links can be internal or external. The internal links come from your own webpages, and external links come from other websites or webpages. High link popularity indicates that you have more connections to your site, which is a plus for SEO. Some important off page SEO techniques to increase link popularity are as follows:
1) Influencer Outreach: If your content is unique, relevant, and the latest, you should share it with influencers in your industry.
2) Guest Posting: There are many authors or blogs that allow you to submit your post or content as a guest post on their sites. If you have written quality content, you can post it there to get backlinks from them.
3) Social Bookmark Submission: There are many social bookmark submission sites where you can upload your webpage or blog post containing a link to your site to drive traffic to your site.
4) Forum Submission: In this method, you participate in forums related to your business, websites. Here, you can reply to threads, answer questions and queries, and provide feedback and suggestions. For better results use, "Do-Follow" forums.
5) Directory Submission: Here, you can submit your pages in directories to build backlinks. You should choose relevant directories and categories.
6) Article Submission: There are also many article submissions sites where you can submit articles, again choose relevant categories to submit articles.
7) Video Submission: You can create videos with proper title, description, tags, and reference links and submit them to video submission sites to get backlinks.
8) Image Submission: You can share your images in various image submission sites. But, don't forget to optimize your images with the relevant title tag, URL, alt tag, description, etc
9) Infographics submission: Infographic is a visual representation of information or data such as graphs, charts, etc. You can submit it to infographic submission sites with links to your website.
10) Web2.0 Submission: This off page SEO technique allows you to create a subdomain in high domain authority websites, such as blogger, WordPress, medium, and more.